Welcome to the official website of the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra!
The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra is ...the NYC 16-piece jazz orchestra founded in 1966 by Thad Jones and Mel Lewis.
In front of the iconic red roof of the Village Vanguard our Monday night home.
The band features music with complex yet warm harmonies and memorable melodies mostly written by Thad Jones. We play various styles, from relaxing swing, 70's-style jazz-funk, ballads with complex harmonic structures, avant-garde tunes with modern rhythms. In addition to the classic Thad Jones charts our library includes music of Bob Brookmeyer, Jim McNeely, Slide Hampton, Bob Minzter, Kenny Werner and others. The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra has gained world-wide respect for their wide-ranging repertoire and rich sound.
- The Sound ... the delicate harmony of virtuosity
Performs in New York City every Monday at the world famous Village Vanguard.
- 48 Years of Monday Nights!
"Precepts of Swing" is the educational program developed by VJO. See the "Education" page for detailed information.
ReservationsWe are playing at The Village Vanguard every Monday. 8:30pm and 10:30pm.
For tickets, please visit The Village Vanguard's website.
The Village Vanguard
For detailed info, please visit "music" page.
- Forever Lasting -Live in Tokyo- 2012 GRAMMY nominee
- Monday Night Live At The Village Vanguard 2009 GRAMMY winner
- Up From The Skies, Music of Jim McNeely 2006 TWO GRAMMY nominations
- The Way, Music of Slide Hampton - 2005 GRAMMY winner
- Can I Persuade You - 2003 GRAMMY nominee
- Thad Jones Legacy - 2001 AFIM winner
- Lickety Split, Music of Jim McNeely - 1999 GRAMMY nominee
- To You - Tribute to Mel Lewis